Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Fire damage can be incredibly devastating to a home or business. Our dedicated team works in the space to help you minimize the time that you may spend out of your home after a fire. We work diligently to get your business doors back open as soon as possible. We are a small local business with a large network in our own backyard. We utilize our network to help put back together what is most important to you. Our SERVPRO of North Coast team is always on standby and ready to respond to your fire loss and make the damage "Like it never even happened."
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (216) 221-3333
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.